Sunday, June 7, 2015

Producing Consistency(Part 1)/Writing the Love is Dead

Hey! Remember when I said I was going to do this once a week? Yeah, me too. Clearly, I forgot about my consistency issues.

 I've always had trouble with consistency. It could be working out/dieting, schoolwork, or preparing a portfolio for my future career. For most of my life I've had way more "off" times than times when I'm "on". It is an aspect about myself that I am far from proud of. At this moment in my life, I am thankfully SO "on". I have a great job working in a coffee shop, I have lost a little under 30 pounds so far this year, I've finished some short scripts and a web series pilot that people seem to LOVE(which doesn't lower my inflated ego any. HA!), AND I am going to L.A.(YES LOS FREAKING ANGELES) where I have the chance to take some of my pilots and other scripts to potentially sell, or at least get my name out this September. The last half of 2014 and the first half of 2015 has seen a Paul who is much more consistent and I am loving it.

Part of that consistency has spawned off a short script that I'm sure some of you have either read or suffered through my various posts or tweets about it. That script is called "The Love is Dead". This particular script is about Chris, who is in an emotionally abusive relationship with his girlfriend, Sarah. Through an..."event", Sarah ends up dead, but Chris isn't quite ready to give up on the relationship, in fact, Chris begins to see that he likes Sarah a lot better now that she is dead.

Kinda creepy/weird, right? The creation of "The Love is Dead" and the aftermath of its birth has been incredibly odd for me. It was the first ever short script that I ever created(the right way), I wrote it in less than two hours within one evening, and it turns out a lot of people REALLY like it. Far from being a great writer, I figured people would like the general idea, but I was shocked that people seem to enjoy it all.

The experience of writing "The Love is Dead" has taught me that as artists, we shouldn't be afraid to expand on what kinds of projects we create. I actually hate other people's dark comedies. I usually find them more sad than funny. The other thing I've learned from writing "The Love is Dead" is that we shouldn't always sell ourselves so short. Have confidence in your work. I'm working on having more confidence in each piece of writing as I'm weaving through the words and I can honestly tell that my ability to tell a story is only improving.

God Bless and have a great week!!
- Paul Tucker

Countdown to L.A. - 96 Days

No comments:

Post a Comment